The news of our favourite show, Barrister Babu going off-air has been taking rounds in various social media platforms for a while now. Each time any such news came up, I always prayed that it should be a fake one. But this time, the cast itself -to name some- Arina Dey( Sumati Maa), Pravisht Mishra( Anirudh) and Bhavya Sachdeva (Chandrachur) has given hints confirming the same.
The news is really heart breaking.
It is 2021 now. But, if I ask that has ITV improved… The answer will be no. When other countries are bringing something new everytime, ITV is still stuck with the age-old saas-bahu fight, bechari actress, cheater-to- good hero, other women, evil relatives and unnecessary drama.. The only change that I see now is, while earlier the hero used to have affairs with other woman who is not related to him, now they display and romanticise the relationship between bhabhi-devar, jeeja-saali.. Husband cheating on his wife, wife’s sister trying to snatch the heroine’s husband, oldies mentally torturing young heroine, evil relatives plotting against each other..
The above said has become the main plot of 80% of the shows now. The rest 20% starts with good message, but the plot get messed up when they fail to get viewers. The sad thing in this is, people still are interested in the age-old drama. They are not able to come out from that thinking.
BARRISTER BABU, our show, was the one which dared to challenge the stereotypical views. Some contents that they showed were such that no shows had dared to come up with.
Anirudh teaching Bondita the difference between good touch and bad touch, helping her heal her bed-wetting problem, the menstruation track.. No other show had ever showed it.
When every show displayed the newly introduced female character as a negative one, Manorama, in spite of being married to Anirudh, never hurted Bondita.
THE TRACKS THE SHOW HAD TILL DATE:
The first few episodes displayed the background the story is set-up.
Anirudh opening to Bondita, the door to education.
The Hiramandi track showed the troubles that women, whose husband left her had to face.
The Betty track was also educational.
The Subhra track showed us how matured Bondita has become.
The menstruation track was really an awareness track- which showed that there is nothing to be scared of it.
When the old man tried to misbehave with Bondita, they taught us to rise the voice against injustice instead of remaining quite.
The Manorama track showed us the sacrifice made by our great freedom fighters.
Then they abolished the child marriage.
The Takumaa track showed us the blind belief that existed then and what was the result.
The Sanyasini track showed the sufferings of the Sanyasis.
The enimity track proved that enimity can never bring peace, only love can.
Chandrachur’s abusive husband role showed that not every husbands are as good as Anirudh many women are still victims of domestic violence.
Anirudh’s trial track was to show how good a Barrister she has become.
And now, a new track is introduced.
The show really deserves a long way to go.. but alas.. no body wants good shows.
When I say it is a good show, I never said it is a “perfect show” Even this had flaws, like everything else in this world. The Takumaa track was lengthy, they made Sampoorna evil unnecessarily, they didn’t show much about Bondita’s school.
But still, IMDb has not given it a rating of 8.2/ 10 for nothing..
See the irony.. IMDb rating- 8.2; trp-1.2..
The one good show is bidding bye.. Barrister Babu fandom, we have done what we could.. now…